Latest News for Day Hospital Sector
Thank you to the 306 delegates, sponsors, trade exhibitors, invited guests and speakers who attended the 2019 Day Hospitals Australia National Conference (11 – 13 September) at the Adelaide Convention Centre. It was a fantastic learning and networking opportunity and we thank everyone involved in making this a conference to remember.
Delegates were able to gain insight from our international guests Bill Prentice, Dr Ian Jackson and Dr Michael Kent, who shared their knowledge of same day surgery in the UK and USA. Keynote speakers Robyn Moore and Derrick McManus provided insights into human performance, management and resilience and Panel Discussions were held to explore moving more advanced procedures into the day hospital sector and how we can contribute to the sustainability of the private health sector.
We acknowledge and appreciate all those Sponsors and Trade who enthusiastically supported and attended this year’s conference, and our sector – our sincere thanks go to Gold Sponsor – Mediprotect; Silver Plus Sponsor – CK Surgitech; Coffee Cart Sponsor – MAIA Financial; Evening Reception Sponsor – Premis Solutions; Event App Sponsor – Air Liquide Healthcare; Silver Sponsors – Stryker and Resolutions; Corporate Sponsors – Dox Medical Records and Direct CONTROL; Catering Sponsor – Levitch Design Australia; Delegate Breakfast Sponsor – Sterequip, International Speaker Sponsor – BUPA; Media Sponsor – The Australian Hospital & Healthcare Bulletin; and to NIB for their support of the conference.Posted : 04.07.19: PHA releases new National Private Patient Hospital Claim Form
Private Healthcare Australia (PHA) undertook a consultation on the National Private Patient Hospital Claim Form, Day Hospitals Australia provided input. The National Private Patient Hospital Claim Form is the standard national form to be completed for payment of benefits by health funds for all admitted patient claims for all privately insured patients in private and public hospitals and day hospital facilities in Australia. A copy of the form and guidance document can be found on the PHA website. Hospitals are encouraged to use the new form from 1 July 2019.Posted : 04.07.19: AIHW releases Hospital Resources 2017-18: Australian hospital statistics
The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) yesterday released the above report. In 2016–17 about 69% ($10.8 billion) of private hospital funding was non-government, including:
- private health insurance funds ($7.8 billion)
- individuals (or out-of-pocket expenses $1.8 billion)
- other ($1.2 billion).
Further information and a copy of the report can be found on the AIHW website.Posted : 17.04.19: PHI Reforms Information
Day Hospitals Australia provides five fact sheets to assist day hospitals in understanding recent changes to private health insurance legislation, and how they affect day hospitals.
Different parts of the changes take effect on 1 January 2019 and 1 April 2019, and will be fully implemented by 1 April 2020. Details of the implementation times are set out in the fact sheets.
Day hospitals may use these resources to educate staff and other relevant persons such as medical practitioners practising at the day hospitals about the changes.
All fact sheets contain references to resources published by the Commonwealth Department of Health in relation to each topic.
The topics of the five fact sheets are:
- Second Tier Default Benefits
- Gold/Silver/Bronze/Basic tiers of private health insurance covering hospital treatment
- Standardisation of clinical categories under private health insurance tiers
- Changed powers of the Private Health Insurance Ombudsman
- Changes to Prostheses Benefits for Medical Devices
Health care facilities are reminded of the following steps to assist in connecting to My Health Record. It is a requirement under the NSQHS Standards to be connected to My Health Record.
Registration and Connection Resources:
- To check the status of clinical software capability to use My Health Record (conformant software), we recommend contacting Ashleigh Ramos – Partnerships Manager from the Australian Digital Health Agency on phone: +61 7 3023 8443 or Email: Ashleigh.Ramos@digitalhealth.gov.au.
- If it is known that the software used by the Day Hospital is conformant to connect to My Health Record we recommend:
- Webinar: ‘What you need to know about connecting your practice to My Health Record’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fGn1jg1EKY
- Website Resources: https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-healthcare-professionals
Policy and Security Resources:
Checklists and resources are available on the My Health Record website: https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-healthcare-professionals/howtos/security-practices-and-policies-checklist
- Online eLearning Resources and recorded webinars are available at https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-healthcare-professionals/howtos/access-training-and-resources/browse-healthcare-setting/hospital
- Face to Face group education can be requested either via the Agency education request form at https://conversation.digitalhealth.gov.au/training or you are welcome to send contact details or dates and venues to me directly and I can place the request for myself or one of my colleagues to deliver presentations about My Health Record. There is also a wealth of information to support health providers on the My Health Record website – www.myhealthrecord.gov.au.
We are proud to look back and share this snapshot of the achievements made by Day Hospitals Australia and in the Day Hospital sector in 2018. Please click here to view.