Issues and initiatives addressed recently include – for your interest:
- Day Hospitals Australia 2019 Conference – ‘Day Hospitals – providing solutions for a sustainable health care system’ is to be held on 11 – 13 September at the Adelaide Convention Centre. Ensure that you save the dates and visit the dedicated conference website. International speakers including Bill Prentice CEO Ambulatory Surgery Association USA and Ian Jackson Specialist Anaesthetists from the UK, President of the International Association of Ambulatory Surgery Scientific Committee.
- Private Health Insurance reforms legislation / Rules – with the assistance of our partners, Health Legal, a Communication Strategy has been developed to ensure members and their patients have available detailed information on the new Legislation and Rules. A PHI reforms page is being established to provide easy access to this material.
- Engagement with Private Health Insurance Funds – Day Hospitals Australia has been in discussions with several major private health insurers regarding the value proposition that the day hospital sector provides to insurers and their members. It is pleasing that there is recognition of the benefits of same day lialda treatment for the consumer, the health insurer and the overall health system. Strategies are being developed to engage medical practitioners and the general public in the benefits of the day hospital sector.
- State and Territory Health Ministers – Day Hospitals Australia has continued discussion with State and Territory Health Ministers and, or, their Advisors and will continue this process after the Federal Election.
- Standards Australia – feedback on the review of AS 4187:2014 is expected in May 2019.
- Federal Minister and Shadow Minister for Health – dialogue has continued providing information on the issues impacting the day hospital sector.
- Ambulance Victoria cost model – this matter continues to be pursued with no resolution offered by the Victorian Minister for Health, the Department of Human Services Victoria or Ambulance Victoria. Day Hospitals Australia recently met with the Victorian Shadow Minister for Health to discuss how this issue might be approached in the future.
Process for the Development of a Day Hospital
Are you thinking of building a day hospital? It is recognised that the setting up and the development of a Day Hospital can be a challenging task.
Where do I start? Day Hospitals Australia is pleased to provide an invaluable paper that outlines the process in a staged format to support those wishing to develop a Day Hospital. Please contact the Day Hospitals Australia Staff for a copy of this document at a very reasonable price of $115.00 incl. GST (available free to current members).