Process for the Development of a Day Hospital
Are you thinking of building a day hospital? It is recognised that the setting up and the development of a Day Hospital can be a challenging task. Where do I start? Day Hospitals Australia is pleased to provide an invaluable paper that outlines the process in a staged format to support those wishing to develop a Day Hospital. Please contact the Day Hospitals Australia Staff for a copy of this document at a very reasonable price of $115.00 incl. GST (available free to current members).
Issues and initiatives addressed recently include – for your interest:
- Reclassification of 31357, 31362 and 31365 from Type B to Type C procedures – Day Hospitals Australia initiated collaboration with the AMA, RACS, ASPS and ACD to raise concerns with the Department of Health regarding this issue. The meeting was held on 16 December 2016 with some positive signs. We will continue to work with the AMA to facilitate development of certification criteria so that certain Type C procedures are universally accepted by the health funds under broader indications.
- Private Health Ministerial Advisory Committee (PHMAC) – Day Hospitals Australia is represented on PHMAC where the issues of PHI contracting and Second Tier Default Benefits are on the agenda. Summaries from this committee’s meetings can be found on the Department of Health website.
- Prosthesis List Advisory Committee (PLAC) – a Google Group for Day Hospitals Australia members has been established to provide feedback on prosthesis issues. Any members wishing to join this meeting can contact the Secretariat.
- AS/NZS 4187:2014 – Member Taskforce to be established early in 2017 to review concerns and provide a proposal for specifically modified clauses in relation to AS/NZS 4187:2014 to Standards Australia.
- NSQHS Standards Steering Committee – Day Hospitals Australia has continued to be represented on this committee in relation to the development of Version 2 of the NSQHS Standards, a draft of which is available on the Commission website. The first meeting in 2017 is scheduled for 15 February 2017.
- Minister for Health – dialogue has continued on an ongoing basis with the Federal Health Minister’s Adviser on Private Health Insurance impacting the Day Hospital sector.
- SA Shadow Minister for Health – a meeting was held in early December 2016 between the SA Shadow Minister for Health, the Day Hospitals Australia SA Board Director and CEO to discuss the Day Hospital sector in South Australia.
- International Association for Ambulatory Surgery – the National Conference is to be held in Beijing, China, from 8 – 10 May 2017. Several members, including the Day Hospitals Australia representative, Dr John Napoli, will present papers at this event.
- Day Hospitals Australia 2017 Conference – reserve these dates in your diary! 31 August – 2 September 2017 at the Sydney Showground, Sydney Olympic Park, New South Wales. Information on our previous conference can be seen on the 2016 Conference page.
- Small Hospital Google Group – this will be established early in 2017 for Day Hospitals Australia members.
- Ambulance Victoria Cost Model – meeting with the Victoria Department of Health to discuss issues regarding this is planned for early 2017.